Banner Time!

So when a friend contacts you and says their husband needs a banner for a weekend elevation, (and they are both dear friends) of course you say yes.

Most of the banners that I’ve made for the SCA were silk, painted with dyes and then steamed and all of those were done via workshops run by Phillip and Rebecca.  I knew I didn’t have time to do that (I’d have to buy the materials and build some kind of steamer, and some supplies would have to be mail-ordered.)  Another option was applique but that seemed like it would also take longer than I had.  So the last option was to paint a banner.

I bought a couple of yards of white cotton canvas duck (mostly for emergencies, I used less than 1/2 yard). And I bought acrylic paints (way more than I needed). I considered buying fabric paints but they are rather more expensive and didn’t seem better than the acrylics. I probably could have bought one each 2 fluid oz containers of black and red and had enough.

Working from a couple of different versions of Diego’s arms, but mostly this one:

Diego-antonia-de-palma-oeu

I needed to scale up a shield-shaped template (from a different project) to banner-size.  I got some brown paper, traced around the outside of my template, added about  5 inches all the way around, then after consulting with heralds as to the height of the chevron) I sketched in the chief and chevron for the arms.  I tried to do it mathematically, but ended up really just eyeballing everything and ended up with this:

diego banner template

Next I made a template for the clubs and the ermine tails (also noting that the spots for the ermine tails go on top not on the bottom) and traced the design and charges on to the canvas duck with a light tablet:

Diego banner starting

I did a little testing of the paint on a scrap of the canvas duck and decided to dilute the paint a little bit with water.  A couple of evenings painting and I was done:

Then I cut out a lining for the back of the banner, leaving enough extra material to fold over for a rod pocket.  I think I would do that part differently next time.  I had to do some weird things to sew under the raw edges.  But finally it was finished:

And that’s Banner Time!

Advertisements

One thought on “Banner Time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s